Business angels play the most important role as initial financiers for innovative start-ups. And they are also becoming increasingly important in later financing rounds. So far, however, no one has exact figures on their investment behavior. Estimates of the number of business angels active in Germany and Europe, the volume of investments made and the amount invested per investment vary widely. The general conditions that favour investments by business angels in startups are also largely unexplored.
We need to know more about angel investments, the market needs to become more transparent in order to make strategic decisions and create an adequate environment.
BAND promotes the business angels market as an important field of research, actively approaches researchers, organizes their exchange of experiences, is committed to building a “scientific community” of those researchers who are specifically active in the business angels field, and acts as a collection point for scientific studies and published statistics on the topic.
On the board of Business Angels Europe, BAND is responsible for the area of “Research and Data”. Thus, BAND keeps an eye on Business Angels research across Europe, informs about scientific findings that have been researched in other countries and are relevant for the German market. In December 2015, an e-book was published under the editorship of BAND, which takes a look at the European business angel markets from the respective national perspective.
Scientific research, studies, figures, data and facts about Germany:
- Fryges, Helmut, Gottschalk, Sandra, Licht, Georg, Müller, Kathrin: Hightech-Gründungen und Business Angels, Mannheim Oktober 2007 (ZEW Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung GmbH).
Scientific research, studies, figures, data and facts about Europe:
- CSES Center for Strategy & Evaluation Services: Evaluation of EU member states’ Business Angels markets and policies. Final report, Kent october 2012
- Wiltbank, Robert E.: Siding with the Angels. Business angel investing – promising outcomes and effective strategies, London May 2009 (NESTA National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts and british Business Angels Association)
- Business Angels Europe – The European Business Angel Market. An approximation – edited by BAND
- Understanding the Nature and Impact of the business angels in Funding Research and Innovation
International Studies, among others OECD, United States:
BAE Business Angels Europe Conference on Angel Investment Research:
- Berger, Marius – ZEW
- Botelho, Tiago – BAE
- Cowley, Peter – Cambridge Angels
- Harris, Jonathan – LINC Scotland BAE March 2019
- Jarchow, Dr. Svenja – Business Angels and similarity
- Jung, Philipp – Business Angels Panel Presentation
- Kolb, Dr. Cornelia – BayStartUP – Insight into a German Business Angel Network
- Kraemer-Eis, Helmut – Business Angels Research at the EIF
- Levratto, Nadine – BAE Berlin
- Licht, Georg – ZEW – Reserach Conference Berlin 2019
- Rusling, Marie – BAE ESIL Presentation Women Angels BERLIN
- Suarez, Julio – AFME CMU KPI Pre-IPO risk capital – BAE BAND Berlin Conference